Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cold is Killing Me

This snow in Chicago is really getting on my last nerve. I will not for one second miss that. I was thinking before it all came that I'd be sad to see it go, but considering it has snowed here honestly at least 4 times a week every week since the start of December, I'm well over it. I can't wait to trade my Uggs for my flipflops. Though, I'm worried that perhaps wearing those guys down under is a faux pas or not. I should do some research on that before I bring them with me and look like an idiot American tourist. But not having to wear socks for an extra couple months of the year is really one of the most exciting parts of the trip!

Still waiting on housing. It's getting ridiculous. I plan on calling tomorrow, since I was supposed to have found out by the end of last week. But of course the office will be closed since its Martin Luther King Day...I love the guy, but he's really messing with my plans. Hopefully I'll find out soon. We did get a list of the other students who will be attending UTS, there are 12 of us in total. A couple from Cali, one from Alaska who goes to U of Colorado, some from Minnesota, Michigan, New York, all over really. I've creepily friended a few of them on Facebook, but everyone knows thats my style! Talked to a girl named Tessa, the one from Alaska, and she has yet to get her housing yet either, so at least I feel better that I'm not in this boat alone.

I've been talking with Mom and Dad about all the things that need to be taken care of before I leave, and the list seems to just keep on growing, funny how that works huh? Figuring out a SIM card for my Blackberry for when I get in. Getting adapters and converters set up since the voltage in Australia is different than ours here. Ordering the right sort of luggage, with all the crazy restrictions on luggage now, looks like I'm gonna be shelling out an extra $200 to and from LAX for my bags. Stuuuuupid. We've decided on two different Eagle Creek packs, which are like rolling trunks sort of, apparently great for world travel. Those will both be checked at O'Hare all the way to Cairns, then I'll have to take them to the backpackers hotel we're staying at and then recheck them on the flight to Sydney a few days later. I'm planning on packing anything I'll want to use while in Cairns in a regular roll around suitcase or in the new NorthFace backpack I've ordered. I'm still trying to figure out how to pack everything, and how to make sure I've got room to bring things back for everyone. Should be interesting, especially with my stellar packing skills...

I'm trying to check out a place that I can go wakeboarding for cheap. As much as I hate the ocean (for those that don't know, love the water, HATE the salt that seems to hang around in it. I'm a lake girl when it really comes down to it) I suppose I'm willing to make an exception. I'm also looking into the STA weekend excursions that are offered, to New Zealand, Whitsunday Islands, Figi, the Outback, all sorts of places.  I got a new camera for Christmas, I'd for it to go to waste. Maybe I can talk my way into a new pair of shoes for hiking excursions as well.  Honestly, surprising to myself, I really want to do a lot of hiking. It just seems like there is so much beautiful scenery to see, that I want to take it all in. I've never really been the hiking type, the most I've done is Mt. St. Helens, and when I say I hiked it, I really mean I drove up it in my car. Though I have done some mini hiking excursions at soccer tournaments, the ones that come to mind were in Oregon and Arizona. Ha. 

Anyways, I'm off to bed, someone made me drive 4 hours home from Indiana today while he slept...rude.

Cheers, 
Lauren

PS- Two weeks from right now I'll be sitting around at LAX waiting to take off for Brisbane. WHAT!?

No comments:

Post a Comment