Sunday, January 11, 2009

Three Weeks

I leave in 3 weeks. 21 days. Its starting to set in that this is actually happening. I'm actually going to be in Australia for 5 months. 
I still haven't grasped the idea that I'll be halfway around the world, 17 hours ahead of everyone back home. Luckily the time difference shouldn't be that big of a deal, I'm 17 hours ahead, which means that in easy terms, I'm 7 hours behind Central time, but its actually the next day. So say it's 5pm in Chicago on a Friday, it's 10am in Sydney on Saturday. Straaange. So I should be able to easily talk/video chat with everyone who has Skype (if you don't have it, get it, its a Godsend).
Currently, I'm still waiting for my housing information. I'm starting to get a little nervous about the situation, seeing as I leave in three weeks and I have no idea where I'll be living. I'm also waiting on a list of students who will be attending UTS with me, as well as information about my Introductory Program in Cairns, which is in northern Australia.  When I first fly in from LAX, my flight flies into Cairns and we spend 5 days there, learning about Australia customs and life and all that good stuff. We also take a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef, and visit   RainForeStation Nature Park, where we get to get up close and personal with Australian wildlife, like kangaroos and koalas! I'm really looking forward to this. Then after this we fly into Sydney and have about two weeks before classes actually begin.  But I've got a intro program through my school as well, which will help me learn how the school system works there, get acclimated to the campus, register for classes, etc. 
Anyway, enough for tonight. 
G'day!

2 comments:

  1. Stay away from those koalas. They look cute, but I hear they're vicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful experience!! I thought it was the Aboriginies that bite!!

    ReplyDelete